"he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper"

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Smoke That Turkey!

This Thanksgiving had a bit more flare to it than previous ones, in a very literal sense. I decided to undertake the "Cooking of the Turkey" myself using primal smoke and fire... As with all my adventures with the smoke pit the key is preparation. It always begins with some in-depth study of the process. I spent the first half of a fortnight scouring my BBQ books and the Internet until I decided on a classic Raichlen recipe. The latter half was spent reading and rereading the recipe every time doubt started to creep into my mind. Familiarizing oneself with the recipe is foundational to success. Why, may you ask?

Before your interest starts to wane, you must understand the complexity involved in barbecuing. Due to the number of variables that exist in barbecuing - you must consider the recipe as a page from your football playbook. The formation of each play is always the same, but based on the weather, the alignment of the opposing team (in this case: children at play, the dog driving me insane, the volatility of fire, and my mental disposition (see dog, wind, fire, etc)) the actual execution of the play is never the same twice. And for this particular case the stakes were extremely high, because burning the bird is the quickest way to end up on the chopping block. Hence the need for barbecuing warfare attire.


Everyone seems to have an alter ego, or "stage persona" these days, so it was due time to unveil my own - "Camo Cook". He is an altered being for sure, the hickory smoke has gone to his head, and it gets stuck in his beard, let alone the tales and barbecue lore that are expelled when anyone mentions barbecue, but I digress...

Back to the turkey, err the bird. All the prep work and recipe magic worked to perfection and I was able to present the family with the most succulent smoky maple brined sublime turkey they had ever tasted. That was coupled with an hors d'ouevre of smoked venison back strap that knocked their socks off, just ask my sister in law. As for what I actually did, as in the recipe, you'll have to ask Camo Cook. But I forewarn you, determining what ended up on the table based on the yarn he may weave with a gleam in his eye will be virtually impossible, nonetheless, entertaining.

Until Next Time....

No comments: