"he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper"

Monday, November 24, 2008

Deer Camp 2008: Pass the Venison

It took about two and a half days to shake off the perpetual chill, and another two days to finally finish cutting up all that venison, but it was a great hunt. The monster buck didn't show himself, but I was able to take a good sized doe on Tuesday morning. My uncle stated that is was a heck-of-a shot, at about 90+ yards through trees and brush on a moving target, so I was even more pleased with his opinion of my riflemanship. That just reassures me when the 200+ point Boone and Crockett buck comes into focus, he'll be mine.

It was around 9:30 in the morning and about 19 degrees with no breeze. I turned my head to the south and noticed some movement in some very thick brush. Two deer were on the move headed due west. They were still over 100 yards off, but I could tell they were a bit spooked. The one in the lead was very precise in its movements and the other one stayed right on its tail. I had to reposition myself slowly in my stand as I was facing east. It was a bit awkward, turned sideways in my stand, but I could pull this off, if they slowed down. Wait a second. It was a doe and a fawn, and this fawn was tiny. I held up and just decided to watch them. The doe stopped and kept looking south across the pasture that she was skirting. I don't think a buck was following, she must have been spooked by a hunter. It looked like they were headed for cover. I watched them dip into the valley to the west and disappear. Oh well....

As I began to question my decision of mercy, I realized it had just paid off. I saw more movement coming from the same direction. Two more does where following the doe and fawn's path. Both of these were good size, but the one in the lead was bigger. I pulled her into view on the scope and waited for her to step in the clearing in front of the pasture. She did and immediately turned her tail in my direction! Good Night! I wasn't about to shoot her in the rear, because that's what all my meat would end up tasting like.. yuck.. She stood there for a moment and then started west again, back into the timber, but now it was getting dicey. I looked ahead of her for any kind of shooting lane and saw none. I was going to have to pick her out of the timber on the move if I could find an opening, so I held my breath and watched the trees in front of her with one eye and with the other eye kept her in my scope. I was going to have a chance in about 3 seconds as there was about a 2 foot space between two smaller oak trees. Time to make a decision, I switched off the safety, held my breath and bore down on her side, and as she stepped in between the trees I fired.

She jumped about 5 feet straight up and I was sure I had missed, but then took a few steps and leaned against a tree, fell down and it was over. Wow, I can't believe I made that shot! I wish I could have seen the grin on my face at that exact moment. There are few things in life that are more thrilling than that. Now I needed to unload my rifle, climb down out of my stand and get to work.

Needless to say it was a clean shot and this years doe is all butchered up and in the freezer as of last night, except for a handful of steaks that were devoured by my family on Friday night. Fresh deer steak bests a Kobe House Filet Mignon any day of the week. Planning for next year begins soon, and I'll tell as many people as are willing to listen about my story from this year at Deer Camp.


Until Next Time...

No comments: