"he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper"

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Tales from the Cubicle: Stand Fast

The term cubicle is derived from the Latin word cubiculum which is translated as "bed chamber". Is it any wonder that Robert Propst's invention has a propensity to lull one to sleep? The cubicle was attributing to this cubicle dwellers psychological and even physical demise, but there was a glimmer of hope! In late December of 2007 my team moved (again) and set up shop in a different building here on the Sprint Compound. One day soon after the move, the dark clouds of mid afternoon sleepiness started to circle overhead. Suddenly out of nowhere a green lightning bolt of work environment enlightenment struck me! No, it was a gas pain, but it caused me to jump up. I was standing... Things looked different from here.. My pain was replaced by a thought rumbling deep within me. Life in a cube could someday.. somehow... somewhere... (cough, hack - sorry I burst into song) be different. Why not Stand AND Work, Brilliant!!!

With the flick of a Phillips screwdriver (thanks Henry) and some heavy lifting the transformation was complete. The background noise of mechanical breathing I had learned to partially ignore halted. I had crossed over the river Jordan to the promise land. Darth Vader's cubicle regime was forever vanquished and the reign of the SWS was now in effect. (Standing Work Station - patent pending). It's crazy, I know but if the shoe fits. I kind of take a blue collar approach to a white collar world everyday, and rolling up your sleeves and getting your hands dirty is not typically associated with sitting down. I'll be the first to say it's not for everyone, but my analysis thus far (4 months in) is an increase in productivity by approx. 37.72%. Some folks just think better standing up and I guess I am one of them..

Until Next Time..

No comments: