"he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper"

Monday, April 12, 2010

Urban Agrarian

Doing some research for my upcoming project, (see future post - Chicken Tractor) I came across a phrase that seemed to encapsulate a certain element of my life. The phrase was: Urban Agrarian

What's Agrarian? A quick Websters hit returns:

Agrarian Latin agrarius, from agr-, ager field (Acre is derived from ager)
Date: 1600
1 : of or relating to fields or lands or their tenure
2 a : of, relating to, or characteristic of farmers or their way of life b : organized or designed to promote agricultural interests

To pair urban and agrarian just makes me smile. Nothing like a walking contradiction. It certainly blows the doors off most drop down lists of people categories. Well it's out in the open now. I guess they can add it to the 2020 U.S Census. I dare them...

It is no secret that I love gardening and general yard piddling. It's mid-western farmer's roots I guess. They say you can't have your cake and eat it too. Well, I say if you know how to make the cake (or grow the veggie), you've just empowered yourself to enjoy eating it! Before you round up the state militia and call in the bloodhounds to find us, don't worry.

I'm not thinking about weaning myself off the power grid and ascribing to pure agrarian ways, but there are some elements that are worth modeling. I mean, they've got cool beards (hopefully just the men), grow a mean tomato, and know a thing or two about chickens & subsistence farming. I guess that's the whole aspect of this urban agrarian mentality that's so alluring to me.

It is a best of both worlds scenario with the creature comforts of the city life, nestled quietly in a little backyard oasis that I can dig up, and plant a few rows of corn on if I want. Now, if they only had designated horse and buggy parking on the Sprint Campus.

Until Next Time...

No comments: