"he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper"

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A Dark Foray in the Dirt...

It is after Ten O'Clock last night, and I find myself rummaging about for my flashlight, coat, and hat; so I can go outside to take care of some plants. As I prepare to venture out, I mention to Rachel, "This is one of those moments when you wonder what your neighbors might think of you." She smiled.. enough said.

I had just remembered that I needed to uncover some plants that I had heaped dirt on two days before. The past two nights temps dropped into the 20's, which is not good for tender plants that are just starting to bud out. I recognized the need just in the nick of time Sunday afternoon as the nasty cold drizzle was coming down. I ran out and covered them all with compost to try and protect them. Now that the cold weather had subsided, I needed to uncover them before it really warmed up today.

So, here I am up past my bedtime, on my knees in the dark, uncovering these stems, looking for signs of life. Low and behold, the first bed of plants didn't look frost bit! About that time, I remember hearing a neighbor coming or going from their house across the street. I thought, "They won't notice me, I AM stealth!" Later, I moved on to a plant in the center of the front yard and began to uncover it. This one I had covered with little hope, as there were no buds that even needed protecting. I was afraid my Oak-leaf Hydrangea was dead. Eureka! There were buds on this one that hadn't been there two days ago! Well done Gardener Bowman!!

As I stopped for a moment to relish in this new found growth, the hair began to raise on the back of my neck. I could hear tires crunching gravel as a car backed out of a driveway. Next thing I know, my backside is drenched in halogen headlights from my neighbors car. I freeze like a deer on the highway. This is too much. Do I turn and wave? NO!! Who waves at 10:30 at night?? Should I acknowledge them at all? They aren't moving... This is getting weird. They obviously have phone in hand and are dialing the police.. After what seems an eternity they finally turn the corner and proceed down the street...

Oh Great!! It's like the movie The Burbs. I am now the neighbor that's burying who knows what in my yard!! Why do I do these things? To late to get philosophical now. This gardeners late night task is finished, and the plants all appear to be saved, or at least no worse off from being buried alive for two days. My neighbors probably think I just finished burying someone alive. I sheepishly smile as I retire to bed... Oh well...

Until Next Time...

1 comment:

Reba said...

hilarious - i can so picture the look on rachel's face! glad the plants survived the chill, somehow mine did too.